How To Stay Healthy & Fit While Traveling
This post is sponsored by Nike and ShopStyle.
Photos by Jake Matthews
I’ll be the first to admit, eating healthy and working out can be a challenge while traveling on vacation.
Actually, scratch that...
I should say the MOTIVATION to eat healthy and work out goes out the window when you’re somewhere new and exciting.
Who wants to be stuck inside on a treadmill when you have an entire town to explore!?
You will RARELY see me inside a gym on vacation.
You will NEVER see me counting calories.
However, you WILL see me finding ways to eat clean, satisfy cravings throughout the day and stay ACTIVE.
The challenge to stay motivated was definitely put to the test for me this past week while vacationing in Bali, Indonesia.
IDK about you, but when I'm prepping for a vacation of which I know I'll be in a bikini, I work my booty off the couple weeks leading up to the trip. Reason being, I want to look and FEEL my absolute best, and it also gives me the ability to give myself a little slack once I arrive.
However, maintaining what you worked so hard at is key to not completely backsliding back into an unhealthy rhythm.
Let me break down a few pointers that I personally try to maintain when traveling:
1. Keep snacks on you- always keep snacks in your purse. A little ziplock bag of nuts, a granola bar, banana, apple… healthy options to help curb your cravings and keep your energy stabilized until your next meal.
2. Pack COMFORTABLE sneakers: I brought my Nike React Running Shoes on this trip and they were an actual lifesaver. If you have comfortable sneakers & cute athleisure attire, you’re more likely to put them to use.
3. Incorporate active activities daily: you don’t need to slave away in the gym to get your heart rate up and break a sweat! Throw on a pair of comfortable Nike’s and get lost exploring the town. Challenge yourself to walk to places that you may otherwise cab to. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Go on a beautiful hike. Stop to do some solo yoga in the park. Swim in the pool or if you’re lucky, the ocean. Do a few sets of pushups and planks before getting ready for the day to keep your muscles awake and happy. There are ENDLESS ways to workout without it actually feeling like a workout, you know? Find fun, outdoor activities wherever you are and get movin'! A little a day goes a long way.
4. Pack your detox tea: some are all about the detox teas, some aren't. I personally think it's such a quick and effortless addition to help kick bloating and fatigue... as well as keep my gut happy. Wherever you're traveling, I guarantee there's a kettle! So bring along a bag of your favorite detoxifying tea and sip before bedtime, or make an iced tea in your tumbler to grab and go for the day. *make sure you pick an all natural brand!*
5. Research healthy restaurants beforehand: researching restaurants in a new town is my absolute favorite thing about traveling. I'll hop on google or search Insta for cute, vibey cafes with fresh salads, juices, grain bowls, etc… There are also ALWAYS healthy options when you’re eating out. Remember: dressing on the side, skip the bread basket if you can, lean meats & veggies over starchy carbs. Incorporate GREENS into every meal, i.e salad, sautéed veggies, etc.
6. Don’t deprive yourself: you’re on vacation after all! Just make sure to keep everything in moderation. EX: This weekend while abroad, I had spaghetti for breakfast (we had limited options, such a shame) before going on a hike. And you know what? I burned off all that spaghetti and then some… and I was one happy hiker. If you splurge a little at one meal, lighten up your next meal! Balance, balance, balance.
Short story: this weekend while in Bali, my 2 friends and I took a day trip from Seminyak (beach town) to the beautiful island of Nusa Penida. I knew there would be a lot of walking and hiking involved, so I grabbed my brand new *never worn* Nike React Running Shoes to put on once we arrived on the island. My wedges and sandals weren't ideal for rock climbing. Shocking, I know. The first rocky cliff I saw, I eagerly put on my Nike React sneakers to explore every inch of what was around me.
After my first steps in these brand new shoes, let me tell you... I was in HEAVEN.
There has been a lot of hype about the release of the Nike React shoe, but I didn't fully understand it until I was walking around in my very own pair.
Walking in these sneakers felt like I had a little masseuse massaging the soles of my feet with gel-like pillows. Soft, lightweight and flexible yet SO supportive. Impressive considering I was stepping over sharp rocks on an uneven surface for HOURS. My feet were still smiling.
Anyways, point being… I took this day trip as an opportunity to get a great workout in. My heart was racing the entire time and I was DRENCHED by the end of it.
We may have stopped to get margaritas after (balance right?), but I felt pretty great to get a sweat sesh in while taking in the beautiful views.
Whether you're at home or on vacation, maintaining a healthy lifestyle really does come down to your own personal goals and inner motivation. If you truly WANT to eat healthy and stay in shape, you will find ways to keep up your good habits. A little inconvenience shouldn't stop you!
However I do want to emphasize to ENJOY yourself.
Vacationing should be a time to recharge, not to stress over a lb or 2.
Don't obsess over the number on the scale.
Don't obsess over your dress size.
Take a few bites of the darn cake.
Focus on nourishing your body with QUALITY food, and move your body often... healing from the inside out, while still remembering it's OK to treat yourself every now and then.
Currently typing this on my flight back from Indonesia... only 13 more hours to go (haaa). Do you think the passengers would mind if I did lunges down the aisle? I'M GETTING ANTSY.
Anyways, if you get these sneakers LMK. I want your feedback! I know you'll love them as much as I do. *buying in every color*
Shop My Picks